- A statutorily qualified Trading Standards professional experienced in the prosecution of regulatory offences;
- An effective resolver of regulatory disputes, able to use enforcement insights to inform approach;
- A full member of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI); its Business Members Group (BMG); and CTSI’s Lead support (Private Sector) on Food Policy;
- A Chartered Trading Standards practitioner;
- Able to give a balanced independent view on regulatory matters as engaged by an independent organisation (Propportunity) and neither in the direct employ of a regulator, nor food business
- Further balance to views is given by practical experience of the regulation of, and compliance with UK food regulations during my time as:
- an enforcement officer (@8years);
- a compliance officer in retail (@8 years);
- as a compliance officer in manufacturing (@8 years);
- and as a Director within a Food Research Association (@3 years).
- Throughout these years an insight of consumer behaviour has been gained through engagement with complainants, either directly, or through the organisation’s customer relations departments.
- Experience in retail and manufacturing gained with major leading brands in these sectors
- First Chair of the Better Regulation Delivery Office (BRDO)’s Business Expert Group on Food Standards and Labelling (this group is attended by the leading food trade bodies as well as senior
representatives from the FSA, DEFRA, DH, and CTSI, and liaises on the development of UK enforcement policy and practice on Food Standards and Labelling).
- Author of CTSI Food Law Distance learning materials ( for enforcement personnel in the process of qualifying)
- Consumer Protection Degree lecturer (Pro-bono/part-time)
- A representative on numerous Governmental, Non-Governmental & UK & EU Industry expert working groups including in the past the Scientific and Technical Committee of Dairy UK; and the Food
Law and Labelling Committees of the Food and Drink Federation and the British Retail Consortium
- A member and regular attendee of the Law Society’s Food Law Group for nearly twenty years.
Varied expert instructions have included civil, self/co-regulatory, criminal, insurance, and EU infringement proceedings (in the defence
of a Member state) as well as petitions to authorities to secure "Assured advice".